[IRCServices Coding] Services 5

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Fri Dec 14 18:43:37 PST 2001

     Looks like this didn't get through the first time, so:

1) No, because I have no clue how many bugs will turn up ;)  At this point
I'm tempted to say beta in February and stable release in April or so, but
I have absolutely no basis for saying that, so don't quote me on it.

2) The notice is intended more for lamers who say "ooh it's version 5!" and
rush to download it.  Feel free to use it on your production network, as
long as you take responsibility for any problems it causes.  There aren't
too many major issues right now that I can think of, but it's the ones I
haven't found yet that worry me more.  (One major issue I do know of is
that rehashing modules.conf doesn't work yet and could easily break
things.)

3) Not really, mostly because it would be a pain to set up and manage.
I may set something up once 5.0 has gone stable, but until then it's just
too much to deal with.  And I want absolutely nothing to do with the
piece-of-shit-formerly-known-as-Sourceforge.

4) For autojoin in particular, it was pointed out to me that not everyone
always accesses IRC from the same computer, which would make client
settings irrelevant.  In general, though, with the module system, I'm a bit
more lenient in terms of what I'll let in, since you can just disable
modules you don't need.  (And the reason for almost everything being
enabled in the default config is so you'll all test them for me. ;)  Some
will probably be disabled in beta/final releases.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/