[IRCServices Coding] Hello !

lamego at ptlink.net lamego at ptlink.net
Tue Dec 25 20:46:30 PST 2001

Andrew Church <achurch at achurch.org> wrote :

> >> Is the Alpha distributed with some kind of "not public"
> >> license ?
> >> I do know the term "use it at your own risk", but this
> >> "forbidden to use on a live network" is a new one.
>
>      The license is the GPL, the same as it has always been, but the only
> reason I'm making it publicly available at all while it's still in alpha is
> to get help from _experienced_ users in fixing the remaining major problems
> before I take it to beta status and do a full-fledged release.  (From the
> response I've seen so far I'm half inclined to take it down again.)
You are getting help from _experienced_ users however making it public you should be also prepared to get *NOT* help from general users.

> >So i think too
> >Then i ask me, why a Alpha is Released to download from a Mainsite
> >with a BIG Advertising link.
>
>      Because that's the only way to let people know who might want to help
> with an alpha test.
The guy was trying to help, but first he just needed some help :P
>You might also note that there's a fairly large and
> obvious warning--on two consecutive pages, no less!--before you can
> actually download the alpha version.
One more reason that it is user's responsability so you should not be worried with someone running it on a live network.

>      Please remember that I have NO obligation whatsoever to provide any
> sort of "service" to you or even to publish IRC Services at all.  The only
> thing I get out of Services is appreciation from users, which includes the
> recognition that I do this on my own free time without any sort of
> compensation other than the thanks of users for creating it.  (Frankly, I
> would probably be a much happier person if I hadn't devoted many thousands
> of hours over six years to Services, but oh well.)  You and all the guys who work on linux, gcc, gmake etc most of the software you need to compile and run ircservices. I don't remember none of them forbidding their alpha from beeing tested on "live servers".

Thus, I do NOT
> appreciate people ignoring warnings I put up explicitly to prevent these
> kinds of questions/complaints.
Sometimes the delete key is helpfull and not so stressing.

>      Please try to act more responsibly in the future.  (That applies to
> everyone.)
Doing it now, I hope :)