[IRCServices Coding] Services' segfault

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Fri Feb 8 01:45:48 PST 2002

>>      This is bizarre, and looks like memory corruption; can you
>> reproduce
>> it consistently?
>
>Not really. As I said, I suppose the machine on which the services are
>running (which also is our main hub server) was probably under attack -
>just like yesterday, *sigh*.
>The whole network froze and other servers (including mine) splitted, and
>when we came back there was no sign of services, just that core file. I
>didn't find anything strange in the logs either.
>I didn't check the cpu load when I logged onto the machine, but I've
>heard of some attacks that manage to rise the load to  100%. Could that
>be the case?

     Such attacks are possible, but I doubt those are related to the crash.
It's more likely the flood triggered a bug somewhere in Services that
corrupted memory--I've heard reports of such but have never managed to
track it down.  Version 5.0 should be more stable in that regard, I hope.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/