[IRCServices Coding] IRCServices and Cygwin

Mark Hetherington mark at ctcp.net
Sun May 5 15:07:06 PDT 2002

I have used Cygwin for various tasks over the last few years on Wintel
boxes and today was playing around with a build of IRCServices under
Cygwin.

It compiles without problems with the exception of the tools. It also runs
to a degree. At this time I have not investigated why tools do not compile
nor why certain parts of services fail unexpectedly. (e.g. forcenickchange
gets disabled at runtime despite connecting with an appropriate protocol
module, I suspect an issue with static modules since configure caused
static modules to be selected - what does services do for protocol in the
event of a static module compilation?).

The FAQ mentions that a Windows version does not currently exist and would
likely be implemented through the submission of patches enabling it to run.
Since services is almost fully functional under Cygwin, as an interim
measure, would patches for running under Cygwin be welcomed? I will
probably look at a native Windows port later this year when I have more
time available and version 5 has gone "gold".

BTW, on the subject of the FAQ, Questions C9 and F9 are the same
(Unreal /gline info).

--
Mark.