[IRCServices Coding] suggestion : crontab - services check script

manual 3000 manual3000 at hotmail.com
Sun May 12 16:49:18 PDT 2002

Hi. I am new to services and i would like to make 2 suggestions.
A.
I think you should add a script tha checks if services are up (stale pid) an
if not to load them.
I know there are many out there but an official one would be nice.
My suggestion considers the following:
1. a file (i.e. autoservchck )that if ran should add a crontab entry running
the file servchk every XX mins.
2. a script (i.e. servchk ) tha should check for a stale pid and reload the
services if they are dead. The script should be made as not to send email
(via sendmail) on every failed services run attempt and if possible to write
a file instead (with failed attempts)
Thats all about the crontab thing.
B. The services.log file is getting bigger and bigger every day and
specially in big networks.
I am thinking that it would be better if there was a directory (i.e logs)
that every day's log would be kept there. I mean that the log file should be
changed by day in a format like this : s06132002.log or something. So it
would be easier to see the logs or erase the old ones.

That was my suggestions and sorry for my poor english. Keep up the good work
guys.

Thanks, MaNUaL IRCN net