[IRCServices Coding] RAW question

Russell Garrett rg at tcslon.com
Wed May 29 10:06:01 PDT 2002

>I have RAW commands enabled (runnign Unreal ircd 3.1.3, and
IRCServices 5.0beta0) in the config  for services....

>But Inotice they are restricted to Services SuperUser only... how
can I make them available to Services Admins also?

There is no reason in operational use on a network that you should
need to use RAW. That's the official line. If you really trust your
SAs to use it semi-responsibly (and I wouldn't - a one-liner can kill
your network), and you want them to be able to do funky things with
RAW, then you'll have to modify the code yourself. It's a very simple
change, but I don't have access to the code at the moment so I can't
show you.

note: I love using raw to confuse people as an SA myself, but I don't
agree with giving SAs that power (I don't run the network). I haven't
crashed anything using RAW for several years, using the command
weekly almost ;) (in contrast... I crashed our net's epona services
last week using JUPE... *ahem* no comment lol). However I consider
myself an expert at RAW use (LOL) and a simple mistake like /msg
operserv raw join #channel can cause your whole network to die. Not
good. I strongly advise against it, but I see why people want to use
it (I only use it myself because it's there ;)).

Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk
www.faereal.net