[IRCServices Coding] Feature Request (AUTOVHOST)

Shaun Guth l8nite at l8nite.net
Sat Jul 20 02:41:04 PDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 02:09, Elijah wrote:
> Seems like pointless bloat with little use to most ircds supported by
> ircservices.
>
> ELIJAH

I agree that it has little use to most ircds supported by ircservices (I
mentioned that I wasn't sure how many supported the CHGHOST command).  I
thought that since the configuration of ircservices is so well organized
regarding what ircd module you have loaded, it wouldn't be a problem.

But I don't agree with you calling it bloat...  Maybe you meant feature
bloat, but then so is an httpd for services, email confirmation of
nicknames, or nick linking/grouping.  So the argument goes both ways...
Or perhaps you meant code bloat?  My changes for Epona took maybe 10
lines at the most, plus the additional help text needed for each
language file.  Or do you just mean it would bloat the running program,
using up too much memory and processing power?  Well, I doubt that it
would use up more than the SET URL feature of nickserv, which probably
is more useless (and less used), than this feature would be.  And I
highly doubt it would slow the running program down by more than a
microsecond or two.

Anyway, if it's not wanted for the main distribution I'll just find time
later this month or next month to add it for my own personal use...
never hurts to ask :-)

Thanks for responding,
Shaun Guth