[IRCServices Coding] what happens when the ircd crashes/services delinks for _insert reason_

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Fri Aug 9 12:22:37 PDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:22:01PM -0500, David Orman wrote:
> Why doesn't the services daemon handle this transparently? Surely it
> happens often enough to warrent the functionality built into services. It
> seems a bit...messy...to have to use cron to handle it. If that's how it
> has to be done though, that's how it has to be done. :)

I don't know how unstable your network is, but it is extremely rare for
either services or an ircd to crash on our network. In fact, it is almost
unheard of. On top of that, I would guess that most configurations have
services connecting to a server on localhost, thus lessening the chances of
networking issues causing a link failure. Really, the only time our
services go down is when the machine is rebooted after applying necessary
patches and such to the OS. I see no need for services tu auto-reconnect in
such an environment.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org