[IRCServices Coding] operserv / akill

Noam M. noam_m at bezeqint.net
Fri Oct 25 17:39:12 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "CyberDems" <cyberdems at wwirc.za.org>
To: <ircservices-coding at ircservices.za.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 1:01 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCServices Coding] operserv / akill

> I will have to interfere here.
> UltimateIRCD is crap. no offence. It is CRAP. I'll give you an example
why.
> try doing a /lusers request. You will get BOLD in certain areas, and
> underlined text, etc. Many IRC Clients (old ones especially) do not
support
> colour, bold, underlined, inversed, etc text formats.
> UnrealIRCD and UltimateIRCD both have too many usermodes. such as *, %,
etc.
> in clients such as mIRC, if you do a /whois on a user with one of those
> usermodes, you can't simply go over the channel name with your cursor and
> double-click it, because mIRC was not designed for such "addons".
> UnrealIRCD has changed so many things, that half the services in the world
> do not work correctly with the newer versions, such as the Selene
versions.
> Have you ever tried installing BOPM (blitzed open proxy monitor) on an
> Unreal IRCD server - it's mission impossible, all those patches?
> Yes, the coders have worked extra hard to get these extra un-necessary
> addons into the ircds, but think of it this way, how many IRCDs are there,
> and how many CLIENTS are there? The client coders have to do research on
the
> IRCDs and then edit the clients to suite them. This is un-necessary, in my
> opinion. But like you said, Dylan, each to his own. So those of you
enjoying
> your 200 users on that little UnrealIRCD slow network(s), keep going - I
> wish you many netsplits in the near future ;)
>
> --CyberDems
> irc.wwirc.za.org

i did not see one thing in your email that refers to UltimateIRCd3
Ultimate2.8 is an old project and ShadowMaster urges all people to move to
the next version, the version based on bahamut.
about control codes in /lusers - that doesnt exist in ultimate3.
usermodes *% never exists. they _were_ used as symbols to mark channel modes
on users, and the symbol % that marks halfop is supported by more and more
clients these days.
Ultimate3 alpha 26 (the latest) uses the sign '!' to mark channel admins -
the only sign supported by mIRC AND XChat.