[IRCServices Coding] contributing to ircservices : legal and coding standards problems

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Fri Dec 13 08:17:56 PST 2002

> >"Furthermore, any submissions of modules, code, documentation, or any
> [...]
> >your situation.)"
> >a. this is against french law, and probably laws from many other
> >countries : some rights of the author can't be given to someone else.
>
>      I can't say anything about other countries' laws.  If this ever
> becomes a factual problem I'll deal with it at that time.

It is a factual problem : I can't contrib (and wouldn't want to contrib)
anything to ircservices with this clause.

> (Look at docs/copyright.html, among other places, and note that I
> specifically state "version 2" of the GPL, not the "version 2 or any later
> version" that most people use--I might not be able to include such code in
> Services due to the difference in licensing terms.)

Actually, you can't include any code from other projects because of this
: you impose additional restrictions on the code. (see section 6 of the
GPL)

OK, I don't understand why you are acting like this, but I respect this.
I think the only interesting solution for this issue would be to fork
ircservices and start a new services package with a bazaar development
model. But I have a licence problem here : I don't want to use "GPL
version 2" but "GPL version 2 or later", and I can't, without knowing
what is in this "later" version of the GPL.
I still have to think about this, but would you agree to release a
special version of ircservices-5 under "GPL version 2 or later" instead
of "GPL version 2" ? This way I could fork this version instead of the
restricted one.

Furthermore, I think the Affero GPL would be more appropriate for
an irc services package. (see http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html for the
licence itself, and
http://webservices.devchannel.org/webservices/02/05/21/2245226.shtml?tid=1
for an article explaining the changes). This licence is believed to be
the base of GPL v.3. Would you agree to release a special version of
ircservices under the Affero GPL ? (If you agree to release a "2 or
later" version, I would probably only have to wait until GPL v.3 is
released anyway)

Thanks for reading me,

Lucas