[IRCServices Coding] Backup Idea...?

Ballsy ballsy at mystical.net
Mon Jan 6 14:11:55 PST 2003

	It seems to me the question with respect to
auto-backups via Services has come up on this list before, and I think the
general concensus was that it should be done by the services
administrator via small scripts in cron, etc.
	As for your idea about the auto-FTP'ing stuff, I used to do
something very similar.  Without giving away all the fun, it went
something like this...

1) create a file (chmod 600) containing all the FTP commands you'd like to
issue....for example, assuming you're connecting to the services shell
from some other unix machine....

user usernamehere passwordhere
cd servicesdir/data/
mget *.db
bye

2) now, you just issue the following, which pipes the commands above into
the interactive FTP command....
  `cat filefromabove | ftp -in services.hostname.com`

3) you can now tar/gzip the newly downloaded .dbs

	Naturally, you could have done this the opposite way, where you
ftp TO a remote host FROM the services shell itself.  Take your pick.
	If available, it would obviously be more secure to use the `scp`
command from the SSH package to do secure transfers.  These are even
easier to automate, as you can avoid passwords by employing authorized
keys, etc.

David

Quoth Saturn on Jan 6 at 13:59,