[IRCServices Coding] problems with 5.0.9

RT.Mail at verizon.net RT.Mail at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 14:42:13 PST 2003

We are having problems also, we are running Unreal3.1.5.1 and the other day the hub died and the services never died, just
kept running.

< >On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 00:24:48 +0200, Aragon Gouveia wrote:
< > I can definately reproduce it.  It happens every time.
< >
< > I'm also connecting to localhost (from localhost) to a specified
< > port.  I
< > haven't defined a binding port though.
< >
< > Can anyone help me debug this?  Can attach to a running process
< > with gdb,
< > but from there I'm not sure what I should be doing.. :)
< >
< >
< > Thanks,
< > Aragon
< >
< >
< > | By Arathorn <arathorn at theonering.net>
< > |                                          [ 2003-02-10 23:43
< > +0200 ]
< > > I've had this problem too (although I cannot reproduce it at
< > the moment) -
< > > I've reported it on the non-coding list.  Andrew's suggestion
< > there is to
< > > attach to the hung process with gdb and see what's going on
< > (which I'm going
< > > to do when it next happens to me).
< > >
< > > That said, I have a suspicion that I may have somehow
< > prevented it; although
< > > so many variables have been changed I'm not sure what may have
< > helped.
< > >
< > > Off the top of my head:
< > >
< > > 1) I changed services to connect to unreal 3.2 on localhost -
< > explicitly
< > > specifying the binding port (i.e. connecting from
< > > 127.0.0.1:7029),
< > >
< > > 2) enabled a PingFrequency of 30s across the link to try to
< > keep things
< > > alive and healthy (i've also had problems with 3.2 complaining
< > about Bad
< > > File Descriptors on the Services socket when select()ing the
< > FDLIST),
< > >
< > > 3) Tried running services 'plain' from the commandline rather
< > than from a
< > >
< > > start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile
< > > /usr/local/lib/ircservices/ircservices.pid \
< > >          --chuid irc:irc --exec
< > /usr/local/sbin/ircservices >
< > > /dev/null 2>&1
< > >
< > > in a Debian /etc/init.d script.
< > >
< > > Somewhere along there, it's decided to start behaving
< > absolutely fine (after
< > > consistently hanging after the ircd closed its connection).
< > Services die
< > > cleanly on a /restart and /die work fine - and for that
< > matter, so does
< > > /operserv restart, quit & shutdown.  With the proviso of some
< > thoroughly
< > > screwed up intermittent faults with +k modelocks disappearing
< > on registered
< > > channels after services restarts - and xml-export doing some
< > very mangled
< > > things. c.f. ircservices at ircservices.za.net.
< > >
< > >
< > > Matthew Hodgson   arathorn at theonering.net   Tel: +44 7968
< > 722968
< > >       Arathorn: Co-Sysadmin, TheOneRing.net?
< > >
< > >