[IRCServices Coding] OP/Voice upon identify

Shaun Guth l8nite at l8nite.net
Sat Aug 30 16:58:16 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 01:16, Andrew Church wrote:
>      Needless complexity.  If you don't want yourself autoopped, then don't
> be an auto-op.  It's that simple.

I disagree.  In my case, I wanted to create a channel where there were
no ops so users don't have to endure lame op-wars, etc.  However, I did
need to maintain a level of control over the channel to protect from
extremely obnoxious behavior or lame bots, etc.  By registering as
founder of the channel I induced the unwanted 'auto-op' behavior.   My
only solution was to register another fake user to become channel
founder and set their nick to noexpire.  That to me seems like needless
complexity.  A simple check to see if the user wishes to be opped or not
is not complex.

Shaun