[IRCServices Coding] Nick/channel names in non-ASCII character sets

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Sun Jan 22 21:09:29 PST 2006

     There have been a couple of requests for Services to handle nicknames
and channel names in non-English (non-ASCII) character sets.  However, I
went and took a look at a couple of IRC servers (Unreal, Hybrid) that are
supposed to have multiple charset support, and both seem to handle case
translation (upper/lower case) the same way as other IRC servers do.
(I also saw that hybrid-ru does case translation of non-ASCII characters,
but as it's not a general algorithm it's better dealt with by a separate
protocol module, which I'll look into separately if there's a need for it.)

     Is there anyone who uses non-ASCII character sets with Services, and
if so, what problems (if any) have you had that are not ircd-related?

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/