[IRCServices Coding] Build prefix/FHS compliance

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Sun Aug 5 20:09:25 PDT 2007

>Attached is a patch I'm currently using in the package - I've not
>finished testing it, but the idea is that things like modules, config
>files, language files and the helpfiles are opened only in one place, so
>are easy to relocate. Anything else can be fixed with absolute paths in
>the config files.

Thanks for the patch, but after some thought I've decided I'm not going
to make Services FHS-compliant, so I'll have to ask you to make those
changes as a distribution-local patch.  It looks like the changes you
propose are sufficient, but the binary-plus-single-data-directory scheme
has been part of Services since the earliest versions, and I'm reluctant
to make such a change to the design without a thorough review of all
potential effects of the change, which I'm afraid I no longer have time
for at this point.

I have, however, added support for alternate installation paths and
changing the executable name to the next beta, which should be out soon.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/