[IRCServices] ping timeouts..

Scott Seufert scotts at flamebait.org
Wed Sep 8 11:47:27 PDT 1999

Tyson La Tourrette wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Andy Church wrote:
>
> > >Y:99:0:60:1:1000000
> >
> >      This is an ancient problem with Services, in which if there's
> > absolutely no activity on your network for an extended period of time,
> > Services may corrupt the next line it receives from the server.  You could
> > try either decreasing the ping frequency in the Y: line in ircd.conf (60
> > in your configuration) or increasing ReadTimeout in example.conf so that
>
> The docs I have state that the 3rd field of a Y line is connect
> Frequency, not ping freq (which is the 2nd field). Are these docs
> wrong? I placed 0 in the ping freq with the hopes that services would
> then never get pinged. =)

The servers NEED to be pinged.

> One more question. The Server Name is not related at all to the
> hostname or IP of the box. Correct?

host and IP are directly related ... DNS is simply assigning a name to a
number. so for example:

My domain is flamebait.org its IP address is 208.247.194.146 of these
two which is easier to remember for more people? ... the name is, most
people associate things with names, like streets, friends, cars, houses
etc ... with out DNS we would still be typing in IP's as addresses. so
instead of http://qx.net you would type <A  HREF="http://208.235.89.10">http://208.235.89.10</A>, which
again qx.net is easier to type and remember ... sence the internet
revolves around numbers(IP addressing) it's easier for your computer to
use the numbered address(IP address) and if you specify in your config
file " services.flamebait.org " instead " 208.247.194.146 " your copy of
services will just have to resolve it to the IP anyway ... so using the
IP would be easier for your services ... especially if something
happened to your DNS server.

I'd like to make a statement in regards to localhost vs IP, after some
thought last night. It might be easier to use the localhost interface to
talk to the server for services hosted on the same maghine for the
reasons of less traffic, sence all inbound and outbout traffic is
eth0(NIC). I would like to also add that I personaly do not use
loopback(localhost) I use eth0 to comunicate with services.

> Thanks for your help (You too Scott)

your welcome any time ;)

> Tyson

Scott Seufert