[IRCServices] Recommendations

Ross Carlson ross at metacraft.com
Wed Sep 8 21:31:01 PDT 1999

Hello folks,

I have been tasked with maintaining an IRC server for a client, and I would
like some recommendations. I am currently running Elite ircd 2.0 beta 15,
with these services.

I am not sure if these services are meant to work with Elite or not, but
there have been a few problems. Such as, when a successor is set for a
channel, services panics and segfaults. The same thing happens when a nick
is unlinked.

I also see these errors in the log a lot, and I don't see any pattern as to
what is happening at the time the error appears:

442 ChanServ #channel :You're not on that channel

Anyway, I would like to hear everyone's recommendations on a good ircd to
use. I would like one that is known to work well with Andy's services, or a
set of services that I can import the current DB files into. A requirement
of the ircd is that it partially hides hostnames.

Another thing I like about Elite is that if you ban someone that is in the
channel and you don't kick them, they are muted. Perhaps that is standard
for all ircds, I don't know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

              Ross A. Carlson
          Chief Technology Officer
              CollecTech, Inc.
          ross at collectoronline.com
       http://www.collectoronline.com

             From the Perl docs:
  "If you fork() without ever waiting on your
    children, you will accumulate zombies."