[IRCServices] Services information in documentation

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Fri Sep 24 02:08:33 PDT 1999

Hi there, from the network who was the first to use this software.  :)

Is there any way to tone down the references to EsperNet in the
documentation and the source code?  I periodically get requests for
support in #dragonweyr, EsperNet's official help channel, which I always
refer to Andy Church's page, http://achurch.dragonfire.net/services.

Some of whom stubbornly--sometimes rudely--mitigate said requests by
saying they're not code questions, but operational questions, when in fact
the channel is solely for the use of our users, and operational questions
do entail the use of the code.

I hope I haven't come off like I'm griping or anything, but some people do
not understand that while Services did have their start on EsperNet, our
administration channel is not the place to get support for it.  Like the
other networks I see represented here, we're just another satisfied user
of the software.

While our staff and I appreciate the recognition, we're IRC operators, and
any work that we do on the code we do is to get the code to run on our own
servers and for any customizations we might make for our own purposes and
of course, bugfixes where we see them.  (Any bugfixes we'll be more than
happy to have rolled into the core source distribution.)

However, I personally might try running the software under other
environments to which I have access for portability reasons and for
reasons of fun.

Thanks. :)

- --Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

P.S.  Andy Church, Services' original author, is our other founder. (Hi,
Andy!)

- -----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75