[IRCServices] JOIN 0 subject

Natey on IRC natey at capetown.za.org
Mon Sep 27 12:18:24 PDT 1999

At 07:46 AM 23/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I would like to know if there is any intention to implement TOKEN protocol
>on services, since most of dalnet based ircd's support TOKEN protocol
>reducing network bandwidth usage.

Something you may be interested in from one of the Sorcery.Net IRC Network
mailing lists that was posted last year:

<quote>
Scheme 1 - Command Tokenization (currently implemented by DALnet)

The entire msgtab is represented in server<->server communication as a
single letter, ie. each command is stripped down to a single byte. See
include/struct.h and include/msg.h for more details, you'll get the
picture. Tokens are translated to commands and vice versa.
Unfortunately, due to the way things work, this isn't done during a
resynch burst, which is where things would be most valuable.

Scheme 2 - Name Tokenization (currently implemented by Undernet)

Every single nick and servername is encoded using base64 (or
something... I'm not too clear on the details). This turns
"cookie.sorcery.net" into "1423" or whatever number cookie has been
assigned. Servers are assigned these numbers on connect, I'm not sure
how the nick side of things works. It's supposed to have cut down Unet's
bandwidth usage by 30%.
</quote>

The other thing is this TS3 timestamping that Bahamut (DALnet's new ircd)
uses and services is using TSpre or something like that.

Services currently "cores" bahamut servers as the timestamps are quite
different.

Regards
Natey