[IRCServices] Modules

Natey on IRC natey at capetown.za.org
Sun Oct 3 14:37:49 PDT 1999

At 03:36 PM 30/09/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Andrew Kempe wrote:
>
>> Point me in the direction of some example code and some documentation and
>> I'm more than willing to attempt to provide this type of support.
>>
>> I've been toying with the idea of modules for a while now - mainly due to
>> the number of requests for specific addtions to Services. By having module
>> support, DALnet specific enhancements, detailed statistics etc would be
>> easier to implement. Currently Services is modular in the sense of #define
>> blocks :)

Well adding a few lines into certain files like main.c etc. and then
include module.c into the Makefiles etc. is the short cut *eg*.

Module support relies on the ability to get others to program in specific
ways see webmin for example :)  http://www.webmin.com/ which allows one to
add modules and remove them.  It is written in perl b.t.w.

Maybe make patches availabe explaining cut the next 4 lines and paste at
line x in the source code :)  I currently do this sort of manual patching.

>Listar and Apache (the latter being the most commonly-used program to use
>this) use dynamically-loadable modules to extend their functionality. You
>might look at the dl* calls, like in Linux's and Solaris' libdl.so;
>FreeBSD has the dl functions built into their libc.
>
>And if you come across a platform which does not support
>dynamically-linkable modules or those whose dynamic support is either too
>hairy or broken, you'd have to build otherwise-dynamic functions directly
>into the services binary statically.

Rebuilding services may be the best bet allowing one to see whether there
is a problem with compiling the module into services.

Regards
Natey