[IRCServices] what do they think ?

Jonathan George net at lite.net
Fri Oct 8 15:28:41 PDT 1999

Why not use popen() and open a pipe to sendmail, pipe in the information
and then close the pipe?  That way sendmail spawns off a new process,
without requiring the addition of timeout handling etc.

For the record, it's a proven concept that the above method will work -
StarChat (around 1000 concurrent connections at night).

[Note: StarChat doesn't use EsperNet services, this is just an example.]

|     For the record, the proper way to do this would be to open a direct SMTP
|connection to a known mail server and send the mail over that connection,
|using select() to monitor the status of the connection (and timing out in a
|reasonable period of time to prevent people from using up all file
|descriptors by sending lots of SENDPASS requests).  Note that a proper
|implementation of this functionality requires quite a bit of work, including
|redoing the main program loop and I/O code to be able to monitor multiple
|sockets at once; this is why I never got around to adding this functionality.
|If it were as simple as writing a function like the original poster did, I
|would have done it long ago.

Jonathan George   (net at lite.net)
Terra World, Inc. (support at terraworld.net)
Programmer        (outlaw at terraworld.net)
Technician        (root at lite.net)

"Never execute code written on a Friday or
a Monday."