[IRCServices] A reminder...

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Mon Oct 11 00:28:46 PDT 1999

Hi, all.

Just a gentle reminder, please refrain from associating The EsperNet IRC
Network and the EsperNet name with the Services for IRC Networks code.  We
are not in any way, shape, or form associated with the development of this
software other than we are the first, and like you folks on this list,
very satisfied users of this software.

The software's original author, Andrew Church, and I happen to also be
EsperNet's co-founders, and thus we are the very first to use this
software.

However, as I have mentioned once before, this association has led many
people to wander into #dragonweyr, our official help channel, to get
technical support for the software.

Don't get me wrong; we appreciate the recognition. But the staff in there
are IRC operators, many of which know little to nothing about C, RFC
1459's intricacies, or even UNIX.

We have stated in our topic that #dragonweyr is -NOT- for help with
Services for IRC Networks, but help for EsperNet's users.  Many people
either don't pay close enough attention and ask anyway or obstinately
mitigate their question by stating that it is operational in nature and
therefore does not deal with the code directly.  This is analogous to
giving help for DALnet, GalaxyChat, whatever, in EsperNet's own official
channel.

Andrew (Kempe or Church, either of ya can help me with this one):  What's
the "official" website/distribution point(s) for Services nowadays?  That
way we can update EsperNet's page to make sure people are pointed in the
right direction.  Right now, I have people heading for
http://achurch.dragonfire.net/services for the website, though I'm not
sure if this is still considered the software's "official" site.

Thank you all for your co-operation and for helping to make the software
what it is today. :)

- --Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

- -----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75