[IRCServices] All connections in use

quension at softhome.net quension at softhome.net
Sat Oct 30 12:47:22 PDT 1999

Chris wrote:

> This may not help you much Rafael, as I'm not exactly sure, but I would try
> running the servers on different ports.
> For example,
> Server1 run on port 7029
> Server2 run on port 7030

Do it in the M:lines.

Server1:
M:(Server1's name):200.248.240.59:(Server1's description):7029

Server2:
M:(Server2's name):200.248.240.59:(Server2's description):7030

> C/N Lines for Server1 would be:
> C:(Server2's IP or Hostname):(link password):(Server2's name):7030:50
> N:(Server2's IP or Hostname):(connect password):(Server2's name)::50
>
> then C/N Lines for Server2 would be:
> C:(Server1's IP or Hostname):(link password):(Server1's name):7029:50
> N:(Server1's IP or Hostname):(connect password):(Server1's name)::50

Note the IP/hostname will be the same for both servers.

> Also make sure you have P Lines for the ports, just to be safe, put these
> in both server's ircd.conf files:
> P:*:*:*:7029
> P:*:*:*:7030

Be careful with the P:lines; some ircds crash if you have the same port in the
P:line as the one in the M:line.
Also note the NEITHER server can have the same ports (P:lines) as the other.
That means you cannot have P:lines for port 6667 on both ircds, which might
deflate your idea of allowing 2000 (or more) clients easily, since 1000 of
those clients would need to specify another port when they connect.

The exception to all that would be if you used another vhost, i.e. as if you
had another shell/machine.

> Hope that helps. If I'm wrong someone please correct me as I've never
> messed with two servers from the same machine/account before. And If
> someone could help him with the kernel again so he only has to run one
> server, I'm sure that would help alot. Hope that helps Rafael.

I know nothing about the kernel restrictions... but regardless, this line
limits you to 1024 incoming clients:

>> Y:1:90:0:1024:100000

Change the 1024 to something higher.

-- Quension