[IRCServices] Re: backups

quension at softhome.net quension at softhome.net
Sat Nov 6 13:05:22 PST 1999

zshack wrote:

> It says something in the readme that it can be done. I have 2 sets of
> services linked, but when the primary fails the secondary set stays in
> read only. I was under the impression that the second set would "take
> over" unless there is a certain command i can give it to start when the
> primary fails.

The secondary set would have to stay in read-only unless you are able to
easily sync the dbs in the opposite direction (from backup to primary) as
well.  And if the backup and primary services are on separate sections of
the network, a network split would cause a nice mess of confusion as users
change things on the backup services that are not echoed to the primary.

I've done some thinking recently as to what a really good backup system
would look like, and have come to the conclusion that it's going to take a
rather large amount of work.

If you still want to run the backups as full services, OperServ's SET
READONLY OFF  may work.

I would like to know how you've set up the backups... are they using
different nicks?

-- Quension