[IRCServices] Copyright Violations

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Thu Nov 18 17:42:38 PST 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Andrew Kempe wrote:

> I've downloaded the source from their FTP site, and they've left 99% of
> all copyrights in place -  apart from adding a few lines. I agree they
> could have said a bit more about who originally coded services, but it's
> no where near as bad as Magick. They haven't even gone to the trouble of
> changing the email address for bug reports - this annoys me. Andy (and
> myself) are sick and tired of having to support all these people who run
> modified versions of Services.
>
> On top of this, the dude who is coding these services doesn't seem to have
> a clue about what he's breaking while he tries to add stuff. I'd stear
> very clear of this branch.
>
> Andrew

Sorry for the late reply. :)

Likewise, I periodically get requests from time to time (though seldomly)
for help with Magick, though none with Rush yet.  I have steadfastly told
people to stop using Magick, which was recoded by an amateur (many of the
people have griped about its instability) working from a grossly
antiquated codebase (it's based upon 2.2.24 if memory serves me).

I mailed Preston Elder a while back to refrain from using the EsperNet
name entirely.  I was given a "nice" letter telling me to fuck off.

I even went so far as to mail RMS about this and the GPL.  He says that
the GPL has been clearly violated in this case.

I just say, "Why use the imitators' stuff when you've got The Real
Thing(R)?"  :)

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75