[IRCServices] Problems with services and ircd

Kevin lebleu at prefer.net
Wed Jan 19 14:10:39 PST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Tim Jung wrote:

> No one is allowed to telnet into that server but me. So all IRC clients are
> remote clients none are done via the local loopback or from the machine
> itself.

I don't know how you have yours configured, but I have services
connecting to 127.0.0.1 to connect to a dedicated port on the ircd.  If
you aren't doing that, you could always try and see if it fixes
anything. :)

> Your comment that no program should be able to crash an OS is true if this
> were a perfect world. This isn't a perfect world and software is updated all

It's not?? You mean the travel brochures I got before I chose to be born
here lied?? jk :)

> the time to fix bugs etc, and this could possibly be a bug that needs to be
> fixed. I don't know for sure. But I don't understand how my game servers can
> chew up all the ram and put huge loads on the processor (1.xx and higher)
> and they don't crash the server.

Honestly, me either... I have trouble imagining what part of the code
services is hitting that game servers don't excercise... that's why I
suggested the localhost possibility.

> Yet I can run just IRCD and SERVICES and like clockwork the server will
> crash after a day or so. It points to a problem in IRC and SERVICES and
> their interaction with the operating system. Since they are the only
> applications that crash the server.

Repeatable bugs are easier to fix. :)  maybe you could run strace or
something like that dumping to the console or to a remote machine so you
can see where it seems to be crashing?  I've already deleted the original
message in which you mentioned your machine configuration... think you
said it was redhat tho?  Have you tried compiling a stock linux kernel
(i.e. not one with any patches, whereas both redhat and debian add some
patches, as far as I know) of the latest revision of the stable tree
and seeing if you still have the problem?  The more precisely you can
narrow down the problem, the better idea you have of who to bitch at.  (I
honestly don't think a change to services nor ircd is the answer, since it
seems to run so stably everywhere else, it's probably an oddity of the
kernel you're running, maybe even specific to one particular device driver
you have loaded.  Hence, kernel debugging techniques to identify if it
crashes at a consistent place in the kernel are probably the way to go...)

--Kevin

--
If you're reading this you're part of the mass hallucination that is Kevin
the Blue.