[IRCServices] Services to /msg Instead of /notice

Kevin lebleu at prefer.net
Mon Feb 7 10:58:14 PST 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, [Real] wrote:

> Hi there Im new to this list , first of all let me say Hi to everyone , Nice
> talking to you all.
> I need some help on how can I make my IRCd services make /msg instead of
> /notice when a user asks help from the services.
> Can anyone out there help please?

Could someone add a response to this one to the FAQ?  It's asked all too
frequently. :)

RFC1459 (the IRC protocol spec) specifies that /notice should be used for
automatic replies, and that no script, bot, or service should make an
automatic reply to a /notice, so as to avoid reply loops.  Hence, /msg
would be *incorrect* for replies from services, being both a protocol
violation and possibly leading to message loops if a reply from services
triggers a reply from someone's script.

This question has been asked many times, and the answer is always that it
won't be changed.  I suggest looking into modifications to your IRC client
or a script for your IRC client that corrects the reasons why you want it
as a /msg instead of as a /notice instead.

--Kevin

--
PaganPaths IRC Network - irc.paganpaths.org - http://www.paganpaths.org/
PPCR Pagan Internet Radio - <A  HREF="http://www.paganpaths.org/radio/">http://www.paganpaths.org/radio/</A>