[IRCServices] New services implementations & Updates?

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Mon May 29 04:38:24 PDT 2000

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 11:05:06AM -0500, Jonathan George wrote:

> 	My suggestion would be to add support for a socket listen(2)ing
> and then have your CGI/PHP3/ASP/<whatever> connect to that socket and
> request information from the database, send updates.. . etc.

I would very much agree with that.  Using SQL with services would not be wisee
at all.  You'd be depending on yet another link in the IRC chain.  As it is,
we have our ircd uplink, services, and the box services runs on.  If you add
SQL to the mix, that is just one more service/link that can go down and
blow up the entire chain.  The socket interface would be much more useful if
implimented properly.  You could use it to pull/push data from services and
also send control messages to services, such as dynamic updating of the
configuration if its uplink ircd died (assuming services weren't on the
same machine as the uplink ircd, which normally they are).  I would encourage
active drafting and development of a protocol which suits the purposes of
everybody before implimenting such a thing though, and I'd also ensure to
make it VERY secure.

--
Sean Kelly <smkelly at zombie.org> or <smkelly at slashnet.org>
       PGP KeyID: 4AC781C7        ICQ UIN: 27955995