[IRCServices] New services implementations & Updates?

Jonathan Morton chromi at cyberspace.org
Mon May 29 18:58:54 PDT 2000

>The idea of using SQL sounds good at first. But these services are generally
>used by small or medium IRC networks all over the world. Some of them have
>low configurations and smaller bandwidths. These implementation would need
>an additional SQL server as Andy pointed out. Also having statistics on web
>would result to another performance decrease. Security is another point.

Might I suggest a compromise, which would allow the increased Web
functionality while retaining the simplicity of the existing system:

When a change is made to the Services database, export that change to an
OPTIONAL SQL database, which may or may not be on a different server.  Then
the Web-functionality can be stuck on top of that SQL database as required.
If changes need to be made in the reverse direction too, then a mechanism
for re-importing changes should be made available.

I think they key issue here is to avoid changing the basic implementation
where possible, but provide hooks so that bigger functionality can be added
as and when it is desired, and can be set up by the server owners.  I
really like the way Services can be set up with minimal effort - I gather
setting up SQL is rather less trivial.  By making SQL optional, we can grab
that extra functionality for those that want it (we probably don't, on our
small server) but keep it simple for those that don't.  As for security,
that would need to be addressed by whoever decided to activate the SQL
setup - basic functionality should not be affected.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
uni-mail: j.d.morton at lancaster.ac.uk

Contributing to the VNC Project - http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
Macintosh VNCserver v3.3.2 beta2.3 now posted at:
	<A  HREF="http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/">http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/</A>