AW: [IRCServices] Addition for the command line...

Jonathan Morton chromi at cyberspace.org
Tue Jun 27 01:58:46 PDT 2000

>Well, if you generated such an editor, if ANYBODY got a hold of your DB's
>and had the editor,
>there goes your stuff. There would have to be some sort of locking that
>would only allow the databases owner to read it. Such as a password(?). How
>to do this(or how much sense I'm making) I don't know.

If anyone gets hold of your DB's anyway, you're stuffed just as bad if the
hacker has access to so much as a hex editor (most do).  Besides, writing
an editor is likely so simple that anyone determined enough to want access
to the DB could do so.

The best solution to securing the DB is simply to make your server secure
in the first place, and make sure the DB's are readable only by the user
who is the admin (chmod 600 services/data/*.db).

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
uni-mail: j.d.morton at lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/