[IRCServices] Suggestion

Jonathan Morton chromi at cyberspace.org
Tue Jul 18 19:51:37 PDT 2000

>Listing linked nicks isn't a good idea, 2 main reasons ... makes it feel
>like privacy is violated. If you have one of my nicks ... you have all of
>them ... second, spamming becomes a bit easier, again you have a list of
>nicks ...

Uh, maybe you misinterpreted slightly.  What I meant was for something like:

/nickserv LISTLINKS <nick>

which in my case would list something like:

*** chromatix is Jonathan Morton
*** chromatix also owns mortonjd, QuadraServ, PowerMac8100ServPro, jon, geek

This information does not benefit a spammer, since they only have the list
for onw person.  Privacy is a more difficult topic (since everyone has
different ideas about it) but I don't see how this information could be
abused significantly in other ways.  Perhaps a server-admin preference
would be indicated here.  Clearly, individual choice would be
counter-productive, given the original reasons for suggesting this feature!
=)

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
uni-mail: j.d.morton at lancaster.ac.uk