[IRCServices] known services "abuse"?

Samuel Graenacher sam at breakfree.com
Sat Oct 7 08:34:09 PDT 2000

Hey,
lately I've noticed this error message coming up quite often:

Global -- from services.mircx.com:
Warning: unable to set modes on channel #rena. Are your servers' U:lines configured correctly?

The channel is known to have script-kiddies in it and when I started
investigating about that a bit I heard they found a way to "abuse" the
servs, most likely Chanserv.

It's a bahamut 1.4 network and I'm sure all servers and services are
configured correctly as these messages started to pop up all of the
sudden and aren't frequent nor regularly.

Is this a known exploit, already fixed in dev releases? Or does anyone
have any more detailed knowledge about this?

[Sam](mailto:sam at breakfree.com)

* Think digital, act analog. *

public pgp key: finger sam at breakfree.com
                or <A  HREF="http://www.xploded.net/fingerp.phtml">http://www.xploded.net/fingerp.phtml</A>