[IRCServices] Desperate Problems

Andrew Church achurch at dragonfire.net
Tue Oct 10 23:11:00 PDT 2000

<rant>

     Permit me to offer _my_ years of experience and point out that network
and server maintenance is completely meaningless without users.  This is
just as true of IRC as of the Internet in general; when was the last time
you talked to someone maintaining a gopher server, for example?  This is
what we in the field technically refer to as "being too literal".
Example:

     If you read RFC 1459, scripting isn't even mentioned, whereas the
duties of an IRCop are; in such duties are network/server maintenance.
So by standard, choosing to keep a network tool like StatServ would be
more helpful to the oper than worrying about whether or not a few users
get flooded by clonebots.

     (Note that StatServ and {nick protection, scripting} are entirely
orthogonal, except to the extent that nick protection and StatServ run in
the same process; and of course, if StatServ crashes then StatServ can't
continue working as a network tool, which makes this a non-solution to
start with.)

     Of course, this is completely irrelevent to the original question,
which was not "I'm going to pick one of these two things to get rid of,
which one should I choose".  The original question was "Having StatServ
enabled causes Services to crash, how can I make it stop crashing?"
Saying "Leave StatServ enabled and let the users deal with Services
crashing" does not answer that question.

</rant>

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at dragonfire.net
    http://achurch.dragonfire.net/