[IRCServices] Desperate Problems

&quot &quot
Tue Oct 10 23:31:00 PDT 2000

> I was suggesting a lesser of two evils. Services is in no way required for
> network maintenance, so asking me to decide which is more helpful, is
> totally irrelevant.
>
> A good set of opers and a RFC compliant IRCd will have all the tools needed
> for the task. Please remember that IRC was conceived without services and
> the oldest net still runs without them.

I still remember those times, before services ever existed that is.
:)

> I'm not one to get into a heated debate over my opinion.

Neither am I. And that makes two of us.
:)

> If you read RFC 1459, services isn't even mentioned. Where as the duties of
> an IRCop are, in such duties are network/server maintenance. So by
> standard, choosing to keep a network tool like StatServ would be more
> helpful to the oper than worrying about whether or not a few nicks get
> changed/killed.
>
> Whatever you decide is of course your choice alone, I'm just here to help
> by offering my years of experience.

I happen to agree with you. But StatServ is a part of services, and I didn't think the two issues of guesting and
services dying were related.

Here is part of Sean Kelly's mail:
> I've seen this before here on SlashNET.  I think it has to do with StatServ code.
> When I compile without it, the problem goes away.  When I compile with it, after
> big periods of netsplits, services just ghost off.  The process keeps running,
> but they ping timeout.  I've not had the time to do real debugging on it, and
> I wouldn't want to do live debugging of it on SlashNET either...
End Sean Kelly's mail.

So umm if keeping statserv causes services to die.... what good is statserv going to do anyway?

Sean also pointed out that the guesting randomization problem isn't related to this.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from your mail, I get the feeling that you think they are.

> I do trust that these problems will be handled in the near future. In the
> short time I have known Andrew, he has always been good about fixing
> problems in a timely manner.

And so have I observed also. Thanks Andrew.

> </rant>

hey where did this start?
:)

> Scott Seufert