[IRCServices] Scalability

Scott Seufert anarki at flamebait.org
Thu Oct 12 04:34:23 PDT 2000

At 08:54 AM 10/12/2000 +0200, you wrote:

> > >In my opinion the problem that is being ignored is the ability of
>services
> > >to act concurrently on data.
> >
> >      This isn't a "problem" if you had no intention of doing it in the
> > first place.  I don't know what Andrew Kempe's plans are, of course, but
> > I never intended Services to work on every network around; I figured from
> > the start that Services would probably not work on a network the size of
> > (e.g.) DALnet, and that was fine with me; that would take a different sort
> > of program design, which wouldn't be as fit for the 20-30 user network I
> > was designing Services for.  That said, I see no reason not to
> > incorporate changes which improve performance on larger networks if they
> > have no real disadvantages.
>
>I agree with this. Currently IRC Services is mostly used by networks with
>less than 500 users. There are a number that are less than 2000 and only a
>few with more than that. My aim is to keep the majority happy while still
>trying to allow the huge networks to function.

<snip>

Actually I would think that by the time a network reaches 2k users, there
would a good chance that there would be someone in the staff that would
know how to code services to upgrade/re-code as needed. I agree with the
current approach of pleasing as many people as possible, but as we all
know, a line is to be drawn somewhere.

I would only hope that under IRCServices current license, such coders would
release their code in due time.

Scott Seufert
aka katsklaw
Server Admin