[IRCServices] Errors compiling ircservices

&quot &quot
Tue Oct 17 19:17:15 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Lewandowsky <matt.l at techie.com>
To: <ircservices at snow.shadowfire.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 6:54 PM
Subject: [IRCServices] Errors compiling ircservices

> I seem to be unable to get services to compile under Win32/Cygwin for
> UnrealIRCd... (If I had a more *nix-y box that I could use I would.) I get
> the following warnings, however this shouldn't cause the make to fail,
> should it? Below the output of trying to build services 4.3.3 and 4.4.8,
> please find some basic info on my setup... (The only change I've made to
> the stock distribution is changing the 'cp -p' test in the configure
script
> so that it works with a .exe extension as given by gcc.)
>
> Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide. If you need
> further information, please ask. And I saw nothing about this in the known
> bugs list. (Although it *did* say Windows is unsupported. Though this
looks
> more like gcc doesn't like something. And I hope I came to the right place
> with this...)
>
> - --Matt
>
> - --- BEGIN OUTPUT ---
> mattl at mattlap:/cygdrive/c/windows/desktop/ircservices-4.3.3*115$ make
> sh version.sh
> gcc  -O2 -Wall -g -c akill.c
> akill.c: In function `do_akill':
> akill.c:390: `OPER_TOO_MANY_AKILLS' undeclared (first use in this
function)
> akill.c:390: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> akill.c:390: for each function it appears in.)
> akill.c:403: `BAD_EXPIRY_TIME' undeclared (first use in this function)
> akill.c:414: `BAD_USERHOST_MASK' undeclared (first use in this function)

] ... SNIP ... [

 (etc.)

Um, those aren't warnings my friend.  Those are errors.

If I had to take a guess it would appear that the language section
is not being compiled/configured correctly.  This normally happens on
UN*X platforms when you don't use GNU Make.  However, CygWin is
supposedly all GNU, so that wouldn't be the problem.  Last time I
attempted to compile Services under Windows I had a problem with
the Language section as well.

Yes Windows is indeed unsupported, for many reasons, one of which
is the problem you've run into above, and a whole smattering of
other reasons I could go into but wont.  Most notably is security
or the lack there of on a Windows box.  This is not to say that
it can't be done, but it will take some work.

Sorry,
Bryce Simonds (Kelmar K. Firesun)
IRC operator: dream.esper.net