[IRCServices] Errors compiling ircservices

Matt Lewandowsky matt.l at techie.com
Wed Oct 18 04:28:47 PDT 2000

At 19.20 10/17/2000, Ian R. Justman wrote:
>You are pretty much on your own here.

I had figured I would be. I was hoping for some form of guidance, however.
If this looked familiar to someone, I was hoping to hear that so I wouldn't
have to bang my head so much since someone has done some banging already.

>When Andy Church originally wrote Services for us, then later GPLed it, he
>specifically didn't support it under Windows, nor would he ever.

I am quite aware of this. However, my needs unfortunately include Windows.
I am not looking for a supported version. To quote from the FAQ (3.):
"Unless and until someone contributes patches allowing Services to run
under Windows, you'll need a different operating system (try Linux or
FreeBSD)." I was hoping to come up with the necessary patches. If they
aren't, in fact, useful to you guys, then I'll not bother trying to get
them to the right place.

>You are better off using a UNIX-type machine for any kind of Internet
>server, be it Linux (under which Services was developed, FreeBSD,
>whatever.  All of those are free.

However, this is incompatible with my reasons for needing IRC and Services.
And, being on a dial-up connection and all, I'm forced to actually run
services on the same machine as UnrealIRCd.

>And as we have seen time and time again, Windows has had more holes than
>than a block of Swiss cheese.  Part horrendous coding on Microsoft's part,
>part open-by-default policies.

I know this, and am willing to take the risks. Otherwise, I wouldn't be
interested in compiling for Windows, would I?

>Hence the phrase:  "Windows:  /n/ 1.  Easily opened.  2.  Easily broken."
>
>Services has been, and probably shall always be, a UNIX-only program.

Hmm... It seems as if it *should* run on any platform you can compile a
compatible IRCd on, at least to me.

>Save yourself the effort and headaches and get Linux or FreeBSD.  Both are
>good.  Both are free.

It's much more of a headache to try to fit Linux or FreeBSD onto the same
laptop hard disk that Windows is running on. (~250MB free.) AND to run both
at the same time. (Yes, I know about VMWare and such. But by the time I get
all that done with, I'll probably have services running fairly well on Win32.)

Back to tinkering with this... It successfully compiled, so now I get to
see if the result is usable...

--Matt