[IRCServices] Email forwarding

&quot &quot
Mon Oct 23 05:01:36 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ciarán Reilly" <Ciaran.Reilly at ntlworld.com>
To: <ircservices at snow.shadowfire.org>
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 5:51 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCServices] Email forwarding

> Yup, good idea.  To prevent abuse, it would be a good idea to limit the
> frequency of e-mails sent - say to one per hour or day.  That way we don't
> wind up being the source of a mailbomb attack.

Hmmmm yeah thats something that needs to be considered.
Perhaps limit it to something like 3 mails per nick / chan per day, this
would keep it to a low enough threshold.....   or perhaps on an hourly
basis, as you suggested.

sending all the memos in one email would be prefered. Also making the time
interval a .conf setting would be wise.

MEMO2MAIL 15 <---- Minutes _after_ update to send mail.
This type of setting would make it easier for services, the box and the
box's Admin(s). :)

MAIL_DELAY 120 <--- delay in seconds between batches.
This could be used in the case of a large amount of mail sent. The mail can
be broken down into batches sent, say maybe 800k at a time. This way 800k is
sent, then 120 seconds later 800k more and so on.

In fact perhaps a seperate app can be written to do all of this. Said app
would have it's own .conf file and only listen to SendMail or whatever mail
program specified in it's .conf file and of course to services. Have this
app read from a spool that services creates during an update or something to
that effect.

Having another app handle the mail load will keep that load off of services
(which complies with Andrew Church's original plan, small and kick ass ;P).
This would make for better performance from services if by some chance it is
always under a load.

Ciarán.

Scott

<snip>