[IRCServices] Desired behavior of channel suspension?

Bryan Clark bclark at bclark.yi.org
Mon Jan 8 21:21:28 PST 2001

Andrew Church wrote:

>       - Should a suspended channel be treated like a forbidden one (no
> one can enter it) or an unregistered one (it can be used, but Services
> won't do anything do it)?  [forbidden]

This I'm not too sure on, though I'm leaning toward unregistered. A light
tap could send me going in the other direction on that one, though. ;)

>      - Should Services allow changes to the channel settings?  I think
> this one is a pretty clear "no", but I'll put it up for debate.  [no]

Agreed, definitely.

>      - Should Services allow the founder to drop the channel?  The
> current behavior of suspended nicknames is that the owner cannot drop
> them, but this is only because the owner cannot identify for them and
> not because Services specifically prevents dropping; I could see
> suspended channels going either way.  [undecided]

I would say "no" here, unless you want to change how dropping channels
works internally. If you're just setting another flag in ci->flags for
it, then dropping it will effectively unsuspend it unless you check for
the flag first. My reasoning here is that it's probably something the
founder did or allowed to happen that got the channel suspended in the
first place. :P

>      - Should Services allow memos to be sent to the channel?  [no]
> Incidentally, 4.4.x allows memos to be sent to suspended nicks; I'm
> planning on disabling that as well unless someone convinces me
> otherwise.

There's no reason to, since it's apparently turning a blind eye to the
channel everywhere else. ;)