[IRCServices] Desired behavior of channel suspension?

Jonathan Morton chromatix at cyberspace.org
Mon Jan 8 22:53:16 PST 2001

>>      - Should a suspended channel be treated like a forbidden one (no
>> one can enter it) or an unregistered one (it can be used, but Services
>> won't do anything do it)?  [forbidden]
>
>Forbidden

Agreed.

>>      - Should Services allow changes to the channel settings?  I think
>> this one is a pretty clear "no", but I'll put it up for debate.  [no]
>
>No

Agreed.

>>      - Should Services allow the founder to drop the channel?  The
>> current behavior of suspended nicknames is that the owner cannot drop
>> them, but this is only because the owner cannot identify for them and
>> not because Services specifically prevents dropping; I could see
>> suspended channels going either way.  [undecided]
>
>No, because they could just turn around and re-register the channel, which
>defeats
>part of the purpose of suspending it.

Agreed.

>>      - Should Services allow memos to be sent to the channel?  [no]
>> Incidentally, 4.4.x allows memos to be sent to suspended nicks; I'm
>> planning on disabling that as well unless someone convinces me
>> otherwise.

I'm not sure on this one - in my limited experience MemoServ isn't used
often even for personal memos, let alone channel ones (though it can be
invaluable when it does get used).  If I were implementing this myself, I'd
probably allow the memo to be sent, but then notify the sending user of the
suspension and the fact it may never be read.  I would also ensure there
was a limit on how many memos could be queued up.  If there is an option to
"un-send" memos, this would work well with notification, IMHO.

Since MemoServ usage is fairly individual to any specific network or
channel, I'd advise making this one configurable between "no", "notify",
"notify/limit", "yes" and "yes/limit".

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at cyberspace.org  (not for attachments)
big-mail: chromatix at penguinpowered.com