[IRCServices] help

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Tue Jan 23 01:21:04 PST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Aaron Mason wrote:

> I have managed to port the services to win32 through cygwin.  However,
> whenever I run them, they segfault after about 5-10 minutes.
>
> This is an extract from the log:

(... deleted ...)

> I am using ircservices 4.3.4, although the log says i am using 4.3.2 for
> some reason.
>
> Would this be a bug in the services, or a "feature" in windows 98?

Taken directly from the FAQ (which I hope you read):

=========

3. Does Services run under Windows?

        No.  I don't know enough about Windows programming to accomplish
        this (nor do I have the slightest desire to).  Unless and until
        someone contributes patches allowing Services to run under Windows,
        you'll need a different operating system (try Linux or FreeBSD).

=========

I can also suggest NetBSD and OpenBSD.

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75