AW: AW: [IRCServices] Backup Feature?

Strider strider at chatcircuit.com
Mon Jan 22 12:05:55 PST 2001

I think the cron job idea is the best I've seen out of all of this. It uses
the least amount of resources, has less overhead, and no database issues. A
cron job that runs every 5 minutes would work great for that. All you would
have to do is write a script that checks to see if services is running, and
if it finds it isn't, start them up.

One feature I'd like to see though that the cron job idea could benefit from
is being able to send the process arguments and it work to where you can
send a global from outside of the ircd. I could see this being useful for
the script to send a global to all users with a warning to identify to
nickserv and an apology about services being down. I could see other
benefits from this as well later on down the line in conjuction with logs
and tail -f if one didn't care to log into irc.

Beau (Strider) Steward
chatcircuit administrator and 6bit band member
strider at chatcircuit.com        www.chatcircuit.com
ircadmin at chatcircuit.com     irc.chatcircuit.com
strider at 6bit.net                    www.6bit.net