[IRCServices] AKILL

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Thu Jan 25 16:16:55 PST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:18:43 -0800 (PST), Gregory King <gregk at wwwpages.com>
wrote:

>I got some bozo telling me I have to give them the source code to our
>modified services because of the GPL license.  I assume this is crap, that
>if we distributed the binary, we would also have to include the source.
>Is my assumption correct?

  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

In short, if you distribute your modified services to other people in any
way you must provide the source (on request).  There is no requirement to
provide the source to your changes if you do not provide them for use by
anyone else.

But there is no reason not to share your work.

Though, IANAL :)

--
Andy Smith <andy at strugglers.net>