[IRCServices] Services' allow spaces in nicks?

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Thu Feb 1 07:21:21 PST 2001

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 07:51:42AM -0700, Tim AtLee wrote:
> One of my opers on my network as playing around with the RAW function (more
> specifically, RAW SVSNICK) and discovered that you could put a space in a
> person's name..  or an @..  or any other character that IRC normally
> wouldn't let you do.
>
> Is this something that was missed, or intentional?

I have to be in class in about 6 minutes, so I'll just summarize it this way:

The way the parser in ircd is written, that is impossible.  The RAW command
just sends stuff RAWly to the services' uplink without services' considerring
what the text actually says.  However, the server they go to should throw this
out or misunderstand it because of the space.

SVSNICK jane joe blow TS

Would, if it worked at all, change jane's nickname to joe.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org

For PGP key, send e-mail with subject "send pgp key"