[IRCServices] Services 4.5pre1 released

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Thu Feb 1 15:17:26 PST 2001

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 06:20:25PM -0800, [Real] wrote:
> Thanks it worked indeed, what's the big difference between -rvf  and -xvf  ?
> Thanks for your help , I know I might get bombarded for asking questions
> regarding to Unix and not services here but I don't have many places where
> to ask lol.

As 'man tar' would be happy to tell you:
     -r
     --append       Append files to the end of an archive.  (Does not work on
                    quarter-inch tapes).

     -x
     --extract
     --get          Extract files from an archive.  The owner, modification
                    time, and file permissions are restored, if possible.  If
                    no file arguments are given, extract all the files in the
                    archive.  If a filename argument matches the name of a di-
                    rectory on the tape, that directory and its contents are
                    extracted (as well as all directories under that directo-
                    ry).  If the archive contains multiple entries correspond-
                    ing to the same file (see the --append command above), the
                    last one extracted will overwrite all earlier versions.

So basically, -r is for adding, while -x is for extracting.  Try reading
the manpages.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org

For PGP key, send e-mail with subject "send pgp key"