[IRCServices] SGLINE

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Sun Feb 18 01:20:32 PST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Kelmar K. Firesun wrote:

> I think this is why there are plans to modularize(sp?) the code so that
> it will be easier in the future to support the daemon that your network
> chooses.

That'd be a great idea, that way all you build is the core code, then any
"plugins" which would stand betweeen Services and possibly the socket code
to the daemon, or perhaps directly to the daemon itself.

Hell, a lot of the functions themselves could even be modularized, too.
Want something in your Services?  Edit the config file.  And there you go!
Apache is a great example of this kind of stuff with its DSO support,
including stuff like mod_access, and the various mod_auth* modules, like
RADIUS, TACACS, system, etc.

Thing is, the dl_* family of functions may work differently on many
platforms. Plus on some systems, compiling shared libraries is a different
or possibly difficult exercise on some systems, e.g. BSDI which uses an
entirely different compiler (based on what I've read in other packages,
e.g. Listar, which also uses this model for some of its support, which
could also include support for talking directly to an MTA's mail queue
space).

In those situations where compiling shared libraries is a pain or is
outright impossible, compiling static support for a given daemon should
still be considered an option.

My knowledge in actual coding for this is a bit lacking, but just throwing
my thoughts of how I've seen stuff done elsewhere. :)  Andy?

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75