[IRCServices] Services 4.5.1 released

Mark Hetherington (Eurocom) markh at eurodltd.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 16:31:44 PST 2001

Wish I could say the same. 4.5.1 is giving me a real headache. It refuses to
read the chan.db file and claims it is an invalid format.

We currently use Unreal3.1.1 and in the past have used the "daylight" build
of IRC services which is basically the 4.3.3 version with Unreal modes added
in. With IRC Services finally having the Unreal modes supported natively and
the improvements over 4.3.3 having tempted me for sometime I decided to drop
Daylight (which never provided patch information so made local updates too
time consuming) and move to IRC services.

Having trawled through the code I cannot yet locate exactly why services
refuses to load it but it does. Initially forbidden channels were a problem
so that ./listchans would actually cause a core dump. So I removed all
forbidden channels and ./listchans ver 4.3.3 was happy again. Ver 4.5.1 just
returns to the prompt. Great error reporting in listchans ... hint hint :).

Services seems to die about halfway through reading chan.db with the Invalid
format message but after much addition of debug output to the
load_dbase/channel calls to try and find the exact cause I am tempted to
just dump our current channel database and have started to ask users how
they would feel about us doing this.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated. For now back to
messing around with the load routines.

Mark.
CTCP Networks.