[IRCServices] Next Services version?

Lonewolf lonewolf at lagnet.org.za
Wed Feb 28 12:29:01 PST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:10:19AM -0600, Sean Kelly wrote:
> How feasable would it be to add SOCKS/WinGate checking as an option
> to Services?  I am aware many ircds support this, but I am of the
> feeling that waiting for ident checks takes long enough, and making
> clients wait for a SOCKS check takes even longer, especially on
> hosts (@Home) which firewall the SOCKS port and fail to return a RST
> packet.  This would allow the majority of good users to connect
> while a SOCKS check would be done in the background.

The best way to do this is to have a bot sit on the server and check
incoming clients.  This means that there's no extra delay for the user
connecting.

If you have a small network, then you could have a separate "socks"
checking server.

Take a look at GeoStats <http://geostats.lite.net/> - it also has an
option to check for open proxy/wingate machines as new clients are
introduced to the network.

lonewolf at lagnet.org.za