[IRCServices] Services

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Sat Mar 3 03:10:02 PST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Collide wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  Wingate/Proxy scan is a bad suggestion to add services. Some irc daemons
> check users on connect; I find them silly also anyway, they make user wait.
> You can use a proxy/wingate scanner bot. Try http://www.egghelp.org to have
> one.. It works perfect.

I'm already looking at SocksClearner as Andy had mentioned.  It's turning
out to be a bitch because it assumes an ircu-based network, and we don't
use ircu.

Andy:  The page is located at http://www.csoft.bg/decho/irc/sockscleaner/

>  I support Yusuf, chan/nick forbid should be rewriten.
>  And the other akill subject, "You are banned from this network" is the
> default akill reason for services, first time when a user is akilled, he/she
> saw the info anyway...

>From my own experience, I disagree with you on this point.  I say this
because it encourages/forces the user to interact with us via e-mail.  We
can also tell other affected users who is responsible for their being
akilled and why.  What else I might consider doing with the offender's
e-mail address is a discussion best left in private. ;)

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75