[IRCServices] Another reminder about Services' name

Ian R. Justman ianj at esper.net
Sat Mar 3 03:25:01 PST 2001

Hi, all.

Due to something I saw on another page, notably Openprojects', which was
brought to my attrntion, for my part as being an EsperNet administrator, I
cannot overstress that the software's official title is "Services for IRC
Networks".  While we have the distinction of being the first IRC network
to employ the code, it doesn not mean we are directly involved with its
development, nor does it mean we are in any position to support the code.

However, lately, we have been literally on the "bleeding edge" before Andy
rolls a release, so we are somewhat "involved" to a degree, plus I
personally host one of the FTP sites, in this case, Esper's.

I stress the distinction of the software's official title because every
now and again, not nearly as often anymore, we still get inquiries about
the code.  As Kempe has noted on the site and as he himself has probably
said on his own network and I have said in our official help channel, we
can hardly expect our IRC operators to know the code (heck, a pretty vast
majority don't know C and it wouldn't be fair to expect them to).
Besides, they have other duties to perform, notably help our respective
users.

Thanks for understanding.

--Ian R. Justman, Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network.

-----
Ian R. Justman (NIC handle IJ12)  ianj at esper.net (Official EsperNet business)
Co-Founder and Postmaster, The EsperNet IRC Network
Server Administrator, chocobo.esper.net "IJ" on IRC

PGP key available upon request, or finger ianj at esper.net.

If this message was signed with the Postmaster's key, please finger
postmaster at esper.net for the Postmaster public key.

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/BAB34B69 1997/11/15 EsperNet Postmaster <postmaster at esper.net>
            Key fingerprint = 05 BD 7C B5 8E 0B FD EF  EE 47 49 C4 96 11 59 75